After a clean install of Windows 7 or booting up a machine that has been off for a very long time, you may get stuck with “Checking for Updates” for a very long time and in some cases, taking 24 hours or more to find updates.
Manually Installing Rollups
- Log into the computer as an administrator.
- Open the Windows Update Control Panel Applet
- Configure Windows Update to never check for updates
- Restart the computer
- Download and install Microsoft KB 3020369 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
- Next, Download and install Microsoft KB 3172605 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
- Reconfigure Windows Update as it was before.
If you are using WSUS, you may need to remove the computer from the updating groups to disable updates completely.