Many times when diagnosing issues or modifying configurations on remote devices, you will need to use Telnet. Microsoft since Windows Vista has not included Telnet in the base load of the operating system. This guide will show you how to install the Telnet Client on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 as well as Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2.
Installing the Telnet Client
1. Log into the computer using Administrative Credentials
2. Click on Start and in the Start Search Box, type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter. Alternatively, you can access this through Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
3. On the right hand side, click Turn Windows features on or off
5. Click OK to install the Telnet Client.
You may be prompted to restart the computer to finish the installation of Windows features, but it is not required. You can now access the telnet client through the command line.
1. Click on Start and in the Start Search Box, type CMD and press Enter
2. In the command prompt window, type telnet and hit enter