When migrating a virtual machine from one physical node to another and adding a network adapter, you may receive the following error:
To repair this issue, you may need to remove all network adapters and restart the virtual machine. To remove the missing adapters, perform the following:
- Click Start and type CMD, then Right Click and choose Run As Administrator
- In the command prompt window, enter SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 , and press the enter key.
- Type the command Devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager
- In the Device Manager window, click View > Show Hidden Devices
- Locate and expand Network Adapters
- Locate the adapters that are dimmed. Right click > Uninstall on each of the adapters
- Restart the virtual machine.
In my particular case, I had to start the virtual machine in Safe Mode with Networking, then I was able to restart into the normal operational mode. I was then able to configure the network adapter with the original IP address.