There are times when adding roles and features to Microsoft Windows Server that you will be prompted with an error stating that a reboot from a previous installation is pending. Most of the time, simply rebooting the server will cause the error to go away. However, there are times when the error message persists even after the machine has been rebooted. This guide will step you through resolving the pending reboot, allowing you to continue installing roles or features. This error is not limited to roles and features, it can also include Microsoft Exchange or Sharepoint.
1. Log into the server as an administrative user
2. Open the registry editor, Regedit
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\
4. Locate the registry entry PendingFileRenameOperations
5. Right click on PendingFileRenameOperations and choose Delete
You may now continue installing roles or features.